Subject: My first step towards digital exhibitionism?
From: npdoty@gmail.com
Date: 3/01/2009 12:43:00 AM
To: Jessamyn, Nathan, Seth, Ryan, Shawna, Sam, Zeina, Brooks, Steph, Andreas
Bcc: http://npdoty.name/bcc


Friends,

Using the wonders of Fire Eagle (thanks Seth!), and a Google Geo Developer Workshop (thanks iSchool!), I've added a map to my personal website (http://npdoty.name) which is centered around my exact location, as stored in Fire Eagle.

So if you're curious, you can see roughly where I am, any time you have access to a web browser. Go ahead, stalk away. Try it out, let me know what you think.

Of course, updating Fire Eagle is something I have to do explicitly from my phone or laptop, so it won't be as automatic as the way that Andreas does it (though I'm looking at Loki to try to do it automatically via SkyHook). And the way the page is laid out, my exact location is visually obscured -- though those of you comfortable with code should be able to find my latitude and longitude without any trouble.

Nevertheless, I've never made this sort of information public before, so I'm curious to know how you'll use it, whether it borders on digital exhibitionism, if you think it'll lead to my untimely death, etc. So far, I like it, just because the maps are pretty and it provides some context to a webpage about me. If that isn't pretentious and self-aggrandizing, I don't know what is.

Nick